Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Gideon: God's Humble Servant

scripture


Judges 6-8

observation

Once again God’s chosen people did not always choose him and so they are in a desperate situation again and just in case they don’t realize why they are suffering the Lord sends them a prophet to let them know:

Judges 6:7-10 When they cried out to the LORD because of Midian, the LORD sent a prophet to the Israelites. He said, “This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: I brought you up out of slavery in Egypt. I rescued you from the Egyptians and from all who oppressed you. I drove out your enemies and gave you their land. I told you, ‘I am the LORD your God. You must not worship the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you now live.’ But you have not listened to me.”

Once again God delivers his people and the man for the job isn’t the big brave guy with all the muscles. God uses the weak and humble to lead his people again:

Judges 6:14 Then the LORD turned to him and said, “Go with the strength you have, and rescue Israel from the Midianites. I am sending you!” 15 “But Lord,” Gideon replied, “how can I rescue Israel? My clan is the weakest in the whole tribe of Manasseh, and I am the least in my entire family!” 16 The LORD said to him, “I will be with you. And you will destroy the Midianites as if you were fighting against one man.”

The Lord told Gideon to tear down the altar to Baal and the Asherah pole that was at his fathers house, his father must have been a leader in idolatry since he had an altar (v25). God raised up a leader out of human weakness whose family was a leader in idolatry.

The Lord chose a humble leader and now he wants the army of Israel to be humble. The Lord tells Gideon that Israel can not go into battle with a great and mighty army that would give them a reason to be proud and trust in their own abilities:

Judges 7:2 The LORD said to Gideon, “You have too many men for me to deliver Midian into their hands. In order that Israel may not boast against me that her own strength has saved her,

After the battle is won the nation of Israel is ready to make Gideon their ruler but Gideon doesn't even appear to be tempted to rise in power and be in charge but rather he focused the attention right back where it belongs:

Judges 8:22 Then the Israelites said to Gideon, “Be our ruler! You and your son and your grandson will be our rulers, for you have rescued us from Midian.” 23 But Gideon replied, “I will not rule over you, nor will my son. The LORD will rule over you!

The Lord wants to use humble servants that are willing to rely on him and give him the glory.

application

Do not forget that the Lord wants to use a man that is humble and that will give the Lord the glory for the successes that he has. It can be tempting to rely on your own strength and your past success in ministry but we must remember that God uses the weak and the humble servant.

prayer

Help me Lord to keep my focus on you and to be your humble servant.