Sunday, November 29, 2009

Prepare First, Then Do

We have to do after we are sure it is God's plan.


Nehemiah 1:4  When I heard this, I sat down and wept. In fact, for days I mourned, fasted, and prayed to the God of heaven.

5 Then I said, "O LORD, God of heaven, the great and awesome God who keeps his covenant of unfailing love with those who love him and obey his commands, 6 listen to my prayer! Look down and see me praying night and day for your people Israel. I confess that we have sinned against you. Yes, even my own family and I have sinned!

11 O Lord, please hear my prayer! Listen to the prayers of those of us who delight in honoring you. Please grant me success today by making the king favorable to me. Put it into his heart to be kind to me."

Nehemiah was the Persian king's cup-bearer, he lived at ease, and in honor, but does not forget that he is an Israelite, and that his homeland is in distress. As a result of their disobedience, Jerusalem is in ruins, the city walls and the gates are just a pile of debris and the first people that have moved back into Jerusalem are unprotected from attack.

Nehemiah wants to accomplish great things for God's people, he needs the help of others but first things first, he knows that he needs to have God on his side. He knows that he needs to be prepared for the opposition and that he cannot do any of this great work successfully without God's grace.

Nehemiah had some serious time with the Lord, there are few Christ followers that attempt to do great things for the Lord and even fewer that know that they have to have an open relationship with God to accomplish anything great.

Before I begin doing the Lord's work I need to be sure that my relationship with him is good and that the work that I desire to do is a burden on my heart that has come from God.

I want to do great things for you Lord, not for my own glory, I want you to find me useful for you.