Monday, June 22, 2009

Who Are You Serving?

scripture

John 7:1 After this, Jesus traveled around Galilee. He wanted to stay out of Judea, where the Jewish leaders were plotting his death.

2 But soon it was time for the Jewish Festival of Shelters, 3 and Jesus’ brothers said to him, “Leave here and go to Judea, where your followers can see your miracles! 4 You can’t become famous if you hide like this! If you can do such wonderful things, show yourself to the world!” 5 For even his brothers didn’t believe in him.

observation

What is my motivation for serving my Lord?

Jesus brothers thought that Jesus should promote himself and seek mans approval and in doing so they probably thought that they would reap some benefit. Even Jesus disciples would argue about who would be the greatest in Heaven.

Am I serving Jesus for my own benefit or am I serving him with humility following his example?

Philippians 2:3 Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. 4 Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.

5 You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. 6 Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. 7 Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, 8 he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross.

application

It is not about me and I need to make sure that I don’t forget it.

prayer

I want to serve you with humility Lord, I want to be useful for your work and for your glory.