Sunday, August 29, 2021

The Unqualified Get Called

Moses had to become an ordinary man before God called him to the extraordinary.


Exodus 3:9-10 Look! The cry of the people of Israel has reached me, and I have seen how harshly the Egyptians abuse them. 10 Now go, for I am sending you to Pharaoh. You must lead my people Israel out of Egypt.”

11 But Moses protested to God, “Who am I to appear before Pharaoh? Who am I to lead the people of Israel out of Egypt?”

What a huge disappointment Moses parents must have felt as they heard the news that their son was a fugitive. Moses life had such a miraculous start and his parents must have been so hopeful that God was going to use Moses to do something great for their people. But all of those expectations have faded away since Moses was forced to flee to the wilderness to get away from Pharaoh.

Moses was trying to do God's will but he was trying to do it in his own strength and his own timetable. Moses learned the hard way that our skills and talents won't help us do God's will before God is ready. Moses found out that our strengths can be our greatest weakness when we use them outside of God's will.

If Moses had an thoughts earlier in life that he was saved from being killed by the Egyptians so that he could accomplish something great for God then he has probably given up on those great ideas. God hasn't done anything with him for 80 years, the strength of his youth is gone as well as his status and position in Pharaoh's government, and now it seems like God isn't even talking to him. Everything was going his way but now it is all gone until God is ready.

The Great "I Am" Calls The Great "I Am Not"

God Says: 


1. Go. The waiting is about to end, it is now time to act on the injustice that was bothering you before when you killed the Egyptian.

2. "I Am" is sending you. No more acting out of his own strength and wisdom.

3. You must lead. The called have a difficult time resisting the call, the urgency will overwhelm them.

4. My people. God loves the people more than Moses and he could have saved his people without using Moses.

Moses Says:


1. I am unworthy, but God already knew that, none of us are. (Genesis 3:11-12)

2. I don't have enough knowledge, but you don't need to be when God knows everything. (Genesis 3:13-22) 

3. I am not powerful, but you don't need to be when the power of God is your strength. (Genesis 4:1-9) 

4. I am not an eloquent speaker, but you haven't had any problem talking to God, so why can't you speak to Pharaoh? (Genesis 4:10-17) 

Moses was ready to do something dangerous before he had God on his side working for him but now that he has God on his side he is concerned about his safety and the success of his mission. He is so stubborn about not serving God that he begins to lie about himself in order to get God to leave him alone. (Compare Exodus 4:10 with Acts 7:22)
Exodus 4:13-14 But Moses again pleaded, “Lord, please! Send anyone else.” 14 Then the LORD became angry with Moses.
Moses wisdom and his feelings told him the opposite of what God was saying, the outcome of God's plans did not depend on Moses abilities but on God's willingness to operate through him, he wasn't operating like someone whose success was guaranteed by almighty God.

Moses became an ordinary man with nothing to offer before he was called by God to lead his people. God doesn't care about my trophies or my list of credentials, he may allow me to be successful in ministry without his power but how much more could be done with it?

Thank you Lord for being faithful to your promises even when it seems like you allow me to live in the wilderness. Remind me that you care for me even when it seems like your silence is a sign that you doesn't care. Remind me that all things are possible when I rely on your power to accomplish your will through me.
RELATED ARTICLES