Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Repent

Agree with God about your condition.


Matthew 4:17  From then on Jesus began to preach, "Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near. "

Jesus first command to us is to repent, he begins his work the same way as all the prophets, and John the Baptist had done.

That's the place that we all have to start in our relationship with God, every relation has to be repaired in order for it to grow. If I am still blantantly going against God, then there isn't going to be a foundation to build a relationship on, it will be like the man building his house on sand. (Matthew 7:26)

Through repentance we are agreeing with God about what we have done that caused the breakdown. This repentance should imply sorrow for our offenses, true regret for breaking our relationship with God, the very sins that resulted in Jesus cruel death. (2 Corinthians 7:10, Romans 5:8)

God did for me what I was powerless to do for myself, I need to realize the only sense of fulfillment and joy in this life is through a relationship with my creator, a relationship made possible by Jesus.
Matthew 3:8  Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God. 

Help me Lord to be quick to access my sins and to see them the way that you see them. Thank you for loving me enough to desire an intimate relationship with you.

You might like to read: Commands of Jesus blog series.