Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Be Wise As Serpents And Harmless As Doves

Watch out for the wolves!


Matthew 10:16  "Look, I am sending you out as sheep among wolves. So be as shrewd as snakes and harmless as doves.

Ephesians 5:15  So be careful how you live. Don't live like fools, but like those who are wise.

Colossians 4:5  Live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity.

The world is not a safe place for your soul, you better watch out for the intense warfare out there for those that want less than the best for your eternal destiny. The world is full of the devil's people that are ready to persuade you to join them on one of the many attractive paths that are leading to destruction.

Jesus gives us two qualities that we need to have, be wise and be harmless.

I have killed a snake or two and I have learned that the snake is very evasive and can get away from his enemy pretty quick. When the wolves are coming I need o avoid them and their tactics to try and persuade me to leave the narrow road.

I have never seen an unpleasant, rude dove, they don't usually inflict very much pain. Living as harmless as a dove requires that I avoid provoking somebody's anger against me, it means that I have to be gentle and kind.

I need to keep my guard up against the devil's tricks and be careful that I live my life full of grace and gentleness to those around me that need to hear the gospel so that I won't turn them away from the truth that they need.

Thank you Lord for your word and for the truth that is there to keep us from harm.

You might like to read: Commands of Jesus blog series.