Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Hear God's Voice

What are you listening to?


 Mark 4:9   Then he said "Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand!"

John 10:26-27  But you don't believe Me because you are not My sheep. My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me.

Luke 11:28  Jesus replied, "But even more blessed are all who hear the word of God and put it into practice."

We all know that it is a noisy world that we live in. There are a thousand voices trying to get noticed, people trying to sell you stuff you don't need, people trying to get your sympathy, people trying to get you to respond  to their demands. There are some good voices coming at us too but even they can keep you too busy to hear a still small voice.

Many times after Jesus taught an important lesson he would let the people know that they need to listen up and pay attention to his words. That's because sheep aren't the smartest animals around but there is one thing that they do know and that is their master's voice and when they hear that voice they react. How many times has the Shepherd spoken to me that I either didn't hear or I made a choise and decided not to react?
Luke 6:46  "So why do you keep calling Me 'Lord, Lord!' when you don't do what I say?
I need to listen for the voice of the Good Shepherd, it is a choice that I have to intentionally make, filtering out all of the other input that is trying to have a say on how I live.

Jesus, I want to be busy hearing and putting into practice the things that you desire for me to do. Help me to filter out the negative influences that try to get me off task.

You might like to read: Commands of Jesus blog series