Friday, June 25, 2010

Jesus Disciples Are Called To Forgive

Live to forgive and you will change your world.


Matthew 18:21-22  Then Peter came to Him and asked, "Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?"

22 "No, not seven times," Jesus replied, "but seventy times seven!

Colossians 3:13  Make allowance for each others faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.

It's the gift that keeps on giving, it never wears out or goes out of style, the one gift that we needed the most. As much as we love this gift we are also supposed to re-gift it and let others have some. The best forgivers in the world should be the people that have experienced Jesus forgiveness but it seems like they may be the worst at it.

The Bible is very clear that if I do not show mercy in the same measure that it was given to me then I am in a very serious situation. If I really understand how much i have been forgiven through no merit that I achieved then i should always remember to do the same for others. 

Forgiveness doesn't change the past but it unlocks the future, past unforgiveness will weigh a person down and keep them in bondage but Jesus unlocks those chains. Forgiving as Jesus did will change the world.

If I truly love as Jesus loves then I will be forgiving at all times, without any restraint and there certainly shouldn't be any strings attached, Jesus gave up his rights and canceled the debt. That makes it seem silly that we cannot forfeit our rights and fully forgive those that are around us. How much have I really been wronged? Not much in comparison.

Help us to be world changers Lord by unlocking the freedom found in forgiveness, help us to give up our rights and allow our brothers to make mistakes.