Friday, May 28, 2010

Jesus Disciples Get Mercy

God expects his followers to be known for giving mercy. 


Matthew 5:7   God blesses those who are merciful, for they will be shown mercy.

Matthew 18:32-33   Then the king called in the man he had forgiven and said, 'You evil servant! I forgave you that tremendous debt because you pleaded with me. Shouldn't you have mercy on your fellow servant, just as I had mercy on you?'

James 2:13  There will be no mercy for those who have not shown mercy to others. But if you have been merciful, God will be merciful when He judges you.

It is amazing that we receive great gifts from God such as forgiveness and mercy and we have a difficult time of re-gifting and allowing other people to experience mercy as well. The parable that Jesus told in Matthew 18:21-35 is so true, we don't want to be held accountable for everything that we have done wrong but we can become very interested in the judicial system when somebody has wronged us.

This cut throat, survival of the fittest culture that we live in has no mercy for those that don't behave the way that we think that they should but I have to remember that I have never behaved as well as God wants me to behave and yet I am still on my way to spend eternity with him.

Thank you Lord for the most awesome display of mercy that the world can know. You laid down your life for me so that I am spared the judgment that I deserve, help me to remember to be extremely merciful and cancel the debt for the people that wrong me.