Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Forgive The Offenders

It says a lot about me if I don't forgive like Jesus did.


 Matthew 18:21-27, 32-35 Then Peter came to Him and asked, "Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?"

22  "No, not seven times," Jesus replied, "but seventy times seven!

23  "Therefore, the Kingdom of Heaven can be compared to a king who decided to bring his accounts up to date with servants who had borrowed money from him.

24  In the process, one of his debtors was brought in who owed him millions of dollars.  25   He couldn't pay, so his master ordered that he be sold--along with his wife, his children, and everything he owned--to pay the debt.  26  "But the man fell down before his master and begged him, 'Please, be patient with me, and I will pay it all.'  27  Then his master was filled with pity for him, and he released him and forgave his debt.

32  Then the king called in the man he had forgiven and said, 'You evil servant! I forgave you that tremendous debt because you pleaded with me.  33  Shouldn't you have mercy on your fellow servant, just as I had mercy on you?'  34  Then the angry king sent the man to prison to be tortured until he had paid his entire debt.  35  "That's what My heavenly Father will do to you if you refuse to forgive your brothers and sisters from your heart."

Matthew 5:7   God blesses those who are merciful, for they will be shown mercy.

It's the gift that keeps on giving, it never wears out or goes out of style, the one gift that we needed the most. As much as we love this gift we are also supposed to re-gift it and let others have some.

Forgiveness is our greatest need, the desperate situation that we are in if we do not receive this gift through Christ. We have been pardoned by the king of the universe, his mercy to us is overwhelming and it is a great example of how we are to treat the people around us.

 How can we understand how miserable our condition was without forgiveness and then we decide to withhold forgiveness from those that hurt us? When we see ourselves for who we really are and realize how much mercy that was bestowed upon ourselves, we will have no other reaction that to extend mercy to the ones that offend us.

The Bible is very clear that if I do not show mercy in the same measure that it was given to me then I am in a very serious situation, maybe I didn't really get it when Jesus forgave me, I need to always remember the best gift that I ever received is the gift that I need to re-gift.

Help me Lord to always remember that debt that was canceled for my benefit and help me to extend that same mercy to those around me.

You might like to read: Commands of Jesus blog series.