Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Watch Out!

Is somebody guarding you?


 Joshua 24:14-16  "So fear the LORD and serve Him wholeheartedly. Put away forever the idols your ancestors worshiped when they lived beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt. Serve the LORD alone.  15  But if you refuse to serve the LORD, then choose today whom you will serve. Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates? Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live? But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD."

16  The people replied, "We would never abandon the LORD and serve other gods."

Wow! What a statement!

How can these people say that they would never turn away from God and make a replacement for him? After the track record that these people have had!

It is easy to read a history book and think to yourself, "Why didn't they see that" But we have to remember that hind-sight is much more clear. As the Casting Crowns song says "It's a slow fade" almost undetectable, that's why the writer of the book of Hebrews tells us to look out for each other.

Hebrews 3:12-13  Be careful then, dear brothers and sisters. Make sure that your own hearts are not evil and unbelieving, turning you away from the living God.  13  You must warn each other every day, while it is still "today," so that none of you will be deceived by sin and hardened against God.

We usually start toward evil one baby step at a time, we don't just wake up with an unbelieving heart and suddenly turn away from God, we have to be careful that we do not fall for the deception that nothing is wrong.

The drift toward evil is so subtle that we need to watch out for each other, if I see a brother that is slipping away then I need to warn him early on, I cannot fall for the lie that it is none of my business. If he is a part of the body of Christ then it is my business to send him a warning before he hurts the rest of the body.

Thank you Lord for brothers in my life that have the permission to come and tell me if I am drifting away, I pray that we will always watch each others back so that we will remain strong in our faith.