Wednesday, April 28, 2010

El Shaddai

The many names of God in the Scripture provide us with insight into His character.


El Shaddai is the name that God used when he talked to Abraham at the time that he established his covenant. 
Genesis 17:1 When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to him and said, "I am El-Shaddai--'God Almighty.' Serve Me faithfully and live a blameless life.

If somebody makes a covenant with me, I want to be sure that they at least have the power to live up to the covenant, whether they have the desire to keep it is a different issue, if they don't have the power to do what they say that they will do then why bother?

Not to worry with El Shaddai, he has the power to fulfill every promise that he has ever made. He promised many things to Abraham and he came through on every detail. He is God Almighty and nothing can stop him from fulfilling every promise that he has made to me, David says that his promises are my armor and protection. 

Psalms 91:1-4 Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 2 This I declare about the LORD: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; He is my God, and I trust Him. 3 For He will rescue you from every trap and protect you from deadly disease. 4 He will cover you with His feathers. He will shelter you with His wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection.

I can count on the promises of God, he has never made a promise so big that he didn't have the power to come through, he is my protection and I can trust in him to give me victory, even over death.

Thank you Lord for your power to protect and save your children, help me to be rely on your strength to accomplish everything that you have commanded me to do.