Sunday, October 18, 2009

Encourage Someone

Everybody needs some encouragement.


2 Cor 7:4-7  I have the highest confidence in you, and I take great pride in you. You have greatly encouraged me and made me happy despite all our troubles.

When we arrived in Macedonia, there was no rest for us. We faced conflict from every direction, with battles on the outside and fear on the inside.

But God, who encourages those who are discouraged, encouraged us by the arrival of Titus.  His presence was a joy, but so was the news he brought of the encouragement he received from you. When he told us how much you long to see me, and how sorry you are for what happened, and how loyal you are to me, I was filled with joy!

Paul’s life after his conversion to Christianity was always full of trouble and hard times. God encouraged Paul but he didn’t do so directly, instead he allowed other people to do his work, he encouraged Paul through the believers that Paul had already won for Christ.

Here in the second letter to the Corinthians Paul is blessed through a visit from Titus, here we see the first church visitation program in action, and according to Paul the visit was a great blessing for him. Titus was able to bring spirits up so that he was full of joy despite the awful treatment that he has endured.

It has occurred to me that maybe somebody would rather have a visit rather than being told that they were prayed for, sure prayer is the ultimate power to help somebody, but we are supposed to be Jesus hands and feet going and doing so that others will be blessed.

Help me to encourage somebody today Lord, there is a lot of pain and suffering all around, there is certainly no shortage of people that need to be encouraged.