Thursday, May 07, 2015

I Am The Real Bread

Jesus came to satisfy our soul not our body.



John 6:30-40  They answered, "Show us a miraculous sign if You want us to believe in You. What can You do?  31  After all, our ancestors ate manna while they journeyed through the wilderness! The Scriptures say, 'Moses gave them bread from heaven to eat.'"

32  Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, Moses didn't give you bread from heaven. My Father did. And now He offers you the true bread from heaven.  33  The true bread of God is the One who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world."

34  "Sir," they said, "give us that bread every day."

35  Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to Me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in Me will never be thirsty.  36  But you haven't believed in Me even though you have seen Me.  37  However, those the Father has given Me will come to Me, and I will never reject them.

38  For I have come down from heaven to do the will of God who sent Me, not to do My own will.  39  And this is the will of God, that I should not lose even one of all those He has given Me, but that I should raise them up at the last day.  40  For it is My Father's will that all who see His Son and believe in Him should have eternal life. I will raise them up at the last day."

The disrespectful crowds are at it again. They follow Jesus around everyday but they aren't really following Jesus, they refuse to make Jesus the Lord of their lives, they just follow him around for their benefit and amusement.

The crowd got a free dinner from Jesus yesterday and now they have followed him to the other side of the lake to see if he will serve up some breakfast. They felt that Jesus should be able to measure up to the standard that Moses set, they wanted a food pantry but Jesus didn't come to satisfy their bodies, he came to satisfy their souls.

According to John McArthur this crowd is basically saying:
"Ah, that's a pretty big claim, telling us You're the One approved of God. You're the One coming down here with this eternal bread. And we're supposed to believe in You. Well, prove it. How do we know who you are how do we know that you're greater than Moses, look what he did as compared to what You did?"
They misquoted their scripture, Moses didn't give them bread from heaven and he never tried to take credit for it, the only thing that Moses did was organize a collection program. The crowd told Jesus if he is really the guy that Moses told them about then they want to see some more food. (Exodus 16:4, Deuteronomy 18:15)
Moses Versus Jesus
Exodus 16:4  Then the LORD said to Moses, "Look, I'm going to rain down food from heaven for you. Each day the people can go out and pick up as much food as they need for that day. I will test them in this to see whether or not they will follow My instructions."
The bread that they called manna didn't last, it didn't give life for eternity and it was only for Israel. The bread that Jesus has to offer gives satisfaction for now and for all of eternity and it is offered to everyone. Manna was only a symbol of the real bread that was Jesus Christ.
Matthew 5:6 God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice, for they will be satisfied.
God sent his Son to be the bread that I need in order to feed my hungry soul. Without this food I will not live forever, I cannot admire the bread and say that he is a great and noble teacher, I must eat the bread and depend on it to give me life for eternity.

Thank you God for sending the bread of life.