Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Digging The Word

You can't get close to God if you aren't reading the Bible.


Luke 6:46-49  "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?  I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice.

 He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built.

 But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete."

Yesterday I looked at the transforming power of God's word, how it will shape your thinking, show you absolute truth, and give you wisdom that will show you God's will. Here is another benefit of digging the word each day: God's Word provides an unmovable footing for your life.

There is only one good way to build and that is to be sure that you have a firm foundation. What is true in construction of buildings is also true of anybody wanting to build their lives in a manner that will survive when disaster comes. Nobody should base their life on a house of cards that can be blown away by the slightest breeze.

Jesus expected his followers to be the real deal that didn't just give lip service to his teaching but didn't follow through. If I cry out to him and say "Lord, Lord" on Sunday morning but I walk into the office on Monday and don't live out his commands then I have not set my foundation on the solid rock.

Digging the word each day is the discipline that will give you the knowledge of God's will but Jesus said that you still have to follow through and put his words into practice. Walking around with this pseudo-spirituality, being holier-than-thou is a trap of the devil that will keep you from having an eternal impact for good on the mission field around you.

Thank you for your word, thank you for the desire to study your word each day. Help me to put what I have learned each day into practice.