Thursday, April 23, 2009

Who Is In Control?


scripture

Romans 8

observation

Who is in control? You have two choices, maybe it’s the sinful nature that you were born with or if you are a Christ follower then maybe you are being controlled by the Holy Spirit.

The next question is who are you trying to please? Are you living for self satisfaction? There is only one way that you can please God and that is through the power of the Holy Spirit.

When the Holy Spirit is in control of your life, you will have a life full of peace (v 6) that will be everlasting (v 1-2). Does that mean that you will have “your best life now” and you will live on easy street? No, but it does mean that the Holy Spirit living in you can give you peace that rises above your circumstances.

Those that are led by the spirit are sons of God that can call upon God as his children and as his children we are heirs to the glorious kingdom that he has prepared for us.

The Holy Spirit even helps us when we talk to God as he intercedes on our behalf (v 26-27). Sometimes I don’t even know what to pray for, sometimes the situation is too overwhelming to know what to say to God.

application

I must strive to allow the Holy Spirit to be in control of my life. When I am in control it does not lead to a life of peace and I can certainly never please God by trying to be good under my own power.

prayer

Thank you for the Holy Spirit that intercedes for us before our Father, help me to always give up control and allow the Holy Spirit to be in charge of the way that I live.