Wednesday, May 02, 2012

So Help Me God

A series on Jesus final teachings before his betrayal.


John 14:15-21  "If you love Me, obey My commandments.  16  And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you.

17  He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive Him, because it isn't looking for Him and doesn't recognize Him. But you know Him, because He lives with you now and later will be in you.

18  No, I will not abandon you as orphans, I will come to you.  19  Soon the world will no longer see Me, but you will see Me. Since I live, you also will live.  20  When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in My Father, and you are in Me, and I am in you.

21  Those who accept My commandments and obey them are the ones who love Me. And because they love Me, My Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal Myself to each of them."

When a loved one is dying it is difficult to not cry and after they are gone we usually keep on crying but Jesus wasn't looking for tears from his disciples, he told his disciples that the most important thing is for them to carry on the work that has been started and to live in obedience to his teachings.

 Imagine having your own personal own personal supporter, attorney, defender, or counselor, somebody to help you out and stick up for you. In the middle of the disciples sadness about Jesus leaving them he assures them that they will not be alone, the Holy Spirit would be there for them.

This assurance of help is not a free ticket to easy street, we can't abuse God, help is available to those that are obedient to his teachings. Their obedience was very important to the ministry that Jesus began. Jesus ministry was a local ministry, he worked in Jerusalem and in Samaria but he never got to the "uttermost parts of the earth." (Acts 1:8) The disciples obedience will result in big changes in this world.

We have Jesus and the Holy Spirit on our side.

1 John 2:1  My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate who pleads our case before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the One who is truly righteous.
The Christian life can only be lived successfully through the power of the Holy Spirit and our obedience to the Lord's commands. We won't achieve 100% success but we have another Advocate that is working for us, Jesus is at the throne of God, the righteous sacrifice comes before God the righteous judge on our behalf.

Thank you Lord for your help, I don't have to fret about my limited ability to live in obedience to your commands, thank you for the Holy Spirits power and for your intercession on my behalf.