Monday, May 07, 2012

Jesus Is An Awesome Gift Giver

A series on Jesus final teachings before his betrayal.


John 14:1 “Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me."

John 14:27  “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.

John 16:33  I have told you all this so that you may have peace in Me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."

The world that Jesus walked into was very troubled, there was always a lot of trouble in world history that had an effect on to the nation of Israel. Just think of all of the nations that gave them trouble in the Promised Land, the Babylonians taking them captive, returning to the destroyed Jerusalem and having to rebuild and shortly after they get back home then the Greeks and the Romans come along and change their world.

There must have been a lot of excitement when Zechariah prophesied that the path to peace is on the way. (Luke 1:79) The Jews only hope for peace was the promise that the Messiah would finally come and restore their nation. 
Gifts from Jesus:
✔  Forgiveness - Titus 2:14
✔  Righteousness - Romans 3:23-24          
✔  Peace With God - Romans 5:1
✔  New Birth - John 3:5-8
✔  Eternal Life - John 3:14-16
✔  Holy Spirit - Acts 2:38
✔  Adoption - Romans 8:12-17
Jesus knew that we would have difficulty dealing with the lack of peace, our world has longed for the peace that existed before sin came and robbed us of it back in the garden of Eden.

More chaos was going to be coming up just around the corner: Jesus arrest and crucifixion, the destruction of the temple and the persecution of the church.

Jesus tells us to have "peace of mind and heart" despite the chaos, he gives his disciples the ability to overcome the world and start enjoying spiritual peace here, and eternal peace in the happily ever-after.

If I have my mind focused on Jesus and the awesome gifts that he has given me, then I have no reason to fear the chaos of this world, he has today in his control as well as my tomorrow and my eternity.

Thank you Lord for your peace, especially the peace that you made possible with God the Father so that I can spend eternity in heaven.