Thursday, November 20, 2008

Watch Out Joe!

SCRIPTURE

Genesis 39:6 Now Joseph was well-built and handsome, 7 and after a while his master's wife took notice of Joseph and said, “Come to bed with me!”

8 But he refused. “With me in charge,” he told her, “my master does not concern himself with anything in the house; everything he owns he has entrusted to my care. 9 No one is greater in this house than I am. My master has withheld nothing from me except you, because you are his wife. How then could I do such a wicked thing and sin against God?” 10 And though she spoke to Joseph day after day, he refused to go to bed with her or even be with her.

OBSERVATION

Things are looking up for Joseph; he has been put into a better situation than he had at home. No more taking care of stupid sheep and dealing with jealous brothers, now he is working in the house of Pharaoh and he is in charge (Gen 39:1-4).

Joseph was being prospered by God and Pharaoh was being prosperous because of Joe (Gen 39:5). Righteous living doesn’t predict that you will be prosperous but for now God was allowing Joe to be very well-off. God’s sovereign will is difficult for us to understand but he is working all things out for the good of those that belong to him (Rom 8:28).

So now here is the proof that living right doesn’t give you reason to expect that you will have a easy prosperous life, Potiphar’s wife would make sure of that. Joe is a good looking guy and she is full of evil desires that became a problem that Joe will have to deal with. Her advances puts Joe in a tough situation since a woman scorned could make life difficult for Joe but to give in would be disobedience to God.

Notice that Joe didn’t respond that he would be offending his earthly, Egyptian master; his response was that indulging in sin is an offense against his master in heaven.

APPLICATION

I will remember that in good times or bad you are still God and you are still in control. I will keep my witness intact by protecting my heart.

PRAYER

All sin is an offense against you, help me to always run from evil and seek what is pleasing to you.