Saturday, October 10, 2009

Waiting For The Lord

It can be a lonely experience.


Ezekiel 16:1-2  Then another message came to me from the LORD: "Son of man, confront Jerusalem with her detestable sins.  

Ezekiel 20:1-3  On August 14, during the seventh year of King Jehoiachin's captivity, some of the leaders of Israel came to request a message from the LORD. They sat down in front of me to wait for his reply.

Then this message came to me from the LORD: "Son of man, tell the leaders of Israel, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: How dare you come to ask me for a message? As surely as I live, says the Sovereign LORD, I will tell you nothing!'

Psalms 27:14  Wait patiently for the LORD. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the LORD.

It is a hurry up world that we live in, gotta go there, now it's time to be somewhere else. We want everything in an instant, everything from food to new toys to money.

King David stressed in the Psalms that he spent time with God every day. He would pray and meditate and sing praises and then he brought his request to the Lord. It is so good for me to spend time in God's word each day, meditating on what he is telling me through his word, praying and building up our relationship.

It is good to wait for the Lord but, as the nation of Israel found out, it isn't good to wait on him if your relationship with him isn't what it should be. If we are being disobedient children then you can wait all day long and the Lord isn't going to be a part of it. As the Lord told Israel through the prophet Ezekiel "How dare you come to ask me for a message? As surely as I live, says the Sovereign LORD, I will tell you nothing!"

Sometimes David waited for the Lord and he was very lonely, the Lord didn't show up. When we read through Psalms and we find David's relationship with God wasn't good because of David's sin then that's when David is crying out to God for him to come back to him. God doesn't reestablish their relationship until David confesses his sin and through repentance God does come back to a close relationship with David.

I will wait for the Lord each day and if I have broken my relationship with him I will not expect him to be close to me until I have confessed my sin.

Help me to always maintain a good relationship with you Lord. I want to be able to spend time each day waiting for you and relying on your strength and wisdom.