Thursday, June 25, 2020

Who Will Be Denied?

Jesus set the example for us by denying himself.


Matthew 26:31-35 On the way, Jesus told them, "Tonight all of you will desert Me. For the Scriptures say, 'God will strike the Shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.' 32 But after I have been raised from the dead, I will go ahead of you to Galilee and meet you there."

33 Peter declared, "Even if everyone else deserts You, I will never desert You." 34 Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, Peter--this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you even know Me." 35 "No!" Peter insisted. "Even if I have to die with You, I will never deny You!" And all the other disciples vowed the same.

Mat 26:75 Suddenly, Jesus' words flashed through Peter's mind: "Before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you even know Me." And he went away, weeping bitterly.

You may not know it but we are constantly making choices that prove our allegiance to God and his purpose and plan. God will not impose his will on us but despite the freedom that we have God is always in control.

Peter didn't like Jesus words, he felt insulted that Jesus would say these things, certainly their friendship with Jesus for these past three years proved their loyalty. So he declared his allegiance and all of the others agreed but they all failed as Jesus predicted.

They were in a situation that few people in America will ever deal with. Most of us won't ever be a part of the persecuted church, we won't have to be so radical with our faith, we won't have to make a decision that is so huge but we still fail daily.

We are still very likely to deny Jesus in the little things that we tend to dismiss or not realize.

To deny Jesus implies:

  • that I am contradicting him, that I am in opposition to his teaching.
  • that I refuse to acknowledge him and his claim that he is the Promised Messiah.
  • that I reject him as Lord of my life, refusing to be his subject or slave.
  • that I am embracing my sin nature and my wisdom instead of putting on the mind of Christ.

To deny myself implies:

  • that I need to forbid myself from participating in some of the "pleasures" that this world has to offer.
  • that I will refuse to put myself in charge and that I will choose to give him control.
  • that I am willing to follow Jesus even when it is painful or humiliating, 
Just like Peter, we take the easy way out, we don't realize how serious a simple little denial can really be. It doesn't seem like a big crime at the moment but later the remorse is usually way bigger.
Mark 8:34-35 Then, calling the crowd to join his disciples, he said, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross, and follow me.

35 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Good News, you will save it.
Crowds of people that had a shallow relationship with Jesus were invited to step in close with the disciples, Jesus lets them know that he wants a deeper relationship. He let's them know what is required to have a real, life saving relationship with him.

To follow requires that you make a choice, you must choose to allow someone else to direct your life, somebody else must control your attitude, your view of the people around you must change, how you treat other races, you must exhibit the fruit of the spirit and be forgiving and kind to those around you.

The life of a winner in this world will be a loser in the next so it is important that I make the right decisions each day. I must give up my self-centered life of rebellion against God (loses his life) for the sake of Christ and the gospel so that I will find everlasting communion with God for eternity.

Jesus made it possible for me to escape death so I should use my life for his glory.
RELATED ARTICLES