Monday, July 26, 2010

Love Your Enemies

Pray that God will bless them


 Matthew 5:44  But I say, love your enemies! Bless those who curse you. Do good to those who hate you. Pray for those who persecute you!

1 Peter 3:9  Don't repay evil for evil. Don't retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and He will bless you for it.

Romans 12:14, 17  Bless those who persecute you. Don't curse them; pray that God will bless them. Never pay back evil with more evil.

How crazy is that!?! Of course I want to be blessed and sure I can see praying for my friends to be blessed but praying a blessing for my enemies is a bizarre idea.

Human nature tells me that I need to get back at those people that don't do nice things for me or to me but the same God that gave me all of the grace that i could ever need is telling me to extend that same grace to everybody else.

It is impossible to love the conduct of the person that treats us so bad or lives in opposition to the laws of God but our dislike for the conduct must be separated from our dislike for the person. I need to wish him well, I need to speak kindly of him, I need to help him in his hour of need and I need to pray that God will bless him.

I need to be careful to never have a black list, people to even up the score with, I need to do good to everybody just as Jesus did (1 Peter 2:23).

Help me Lord to treat people the way that you would, thank you that you refuse to treat me the way that I deserve because I am your child.