Thursday, July 29, 2010

Be Perfect

Someday we will be, until then I have work to do.


Matthew 5:46-48  If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much.  47  If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that.  48  But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Philippians 3:12  I don't mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me.

Striving to be perfect is something that Paul worked diligently at everyday, he depended on God's grace and power to help him become a better man. Not a perfect man but what an example he is to us, who better to make a claim for reaching perfection than Paul? Who could be more sold out to the cause of the gospel? Who could surpass him in zeal, love or self denial?

Paul's good character was lived out in front of his friends and most importantly he live the same way around his enemies. It is easy to treat our friends good and to keep our behavior as "religious" as possible around them but when we are around the people that don't treat us good then that's another story.
Ephesians 5:1-2  Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are His dear children.  2  Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered Himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God.
I need to reach for perfection, striving to please God in my obedience to his commands and in a change of character, knowing that I won't be complete until the day that he calls me home.

You have set the standard high Lord, give me the grace to live my life to please you and to have a character that pleases you. I want to live different so that my good deeds will bring glory to you. (Matthew 5:16)