Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Don't Look At Me

scripture

John 3:27  John replied, “No one can receive anything unless God gives it from heaven. 28  You yourselves know how plainly I told you, ‘I am not the Messiah. I am only here to prepare the way for him.’ 29  It is the bridegroom who marries the bride, and the best man is simply glad to stand with him and hear his vows. Therefore, I am filled with joy at his success. 30  He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less.

31  “He has come from above and is greater than anyone else. We are of the earth, and we speak of earthly things, but he has come from heaven and is greater than anyone else. 32  He testifies about what he has seen and heard, but how few believe what he tells them! 33  Anyone who accepts his testimony can affirm that God is true. 34  For he is sent by God. He speaks God’s words, for God gives him the Spirit without limit. 35  The Father loves his Son and has put everything into his hands. 36  And anyone who believes in God’s Son has eternal life. Anyone who doesn’t obey the Son will never experience eternal life but remains under God’s angry judgment.”

observation

Don’t look at me! Imagine the best man at the wedding trying to be in the spotlight, I am sure that somebody would put him in his place real fast.

John was very pleased with the success that Jesus had and he did not feel like he wasn’t getting the praise that he deserved, he was glad to be a part of the wedding party and to get to witness the success of Jesus ministry, he wasn’t concerned that he was losing his followers.

So many times in ministry people allow their personality, or their need for their ego to be stroked to get in the way of what God is trying to do.

My pastor could be worried about the success of another church in the neighborhood, he could worry that our partnership with First Baptist of Brandon will create a following for their pastor. I could be concerned that the work that I do may be done better by somebody else or maybe their program is more successful than mine is, I could think to myself “why didn’t the pastor ask me to do that, surely I deserve to do that or I could do it better than he does.”

application

It’s not about me, it’s is all about Him and we should all be focused on Jesus and we should be putting the spotlight on him, our greatest joy should be for him to receive the glory. I should have the same attitude as John the Baptist when he said that he was filled with joy at Jesus success.

prayer

Thank you Lord for using this simple man to accomplish your will. I pray that I will give you the praise and the glory for every success that I have in ministry and for the success of others that are also working to bring you glory.