Saturday, August 01, 2009

Mission Accomplished

scripture
John 17:1-8  After saying all these things, Jesus looked up to heaven and said, "Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son so he can give glory back to you. 2  For you have given him authority over everyone. He gives eternal life to each one you have given him.

3  And this is the way to have eternal life—to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth. 4  I brought glory to you here on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. 5  Now, Father, bring me into the glory we shared before the world began.

6  "I have revealed you to the ones you gave me from this world. They were always yours. You gave them to me, and they have kept your word. 7  Now they know that everything I have is a gift from you, 8  for I have passed on to them the message you gave me. They accepted it and know that I came from you, and they believe you sent me.

observation
I love to work on a project and see it come to completion, one of my most satisfying projects was the mission trip to Athens in 2008. In this passage just before the end of Jesus ministry he talks to God and tells the Father "I have accomplished my mission."

Jesus was here on this planet on a mission from God, a mission that nobody understood, a mission that was above the human wisdom of the day that told Jesus to exalt himself and bring glory to himself by setting up his kingdom on earth. Jesus mission was to bring glory to his Father instead of putting the spotlight on himself.

If we are supposed to be like Jesus then we should ask "what did Jesus do" and the only answer to the question is that Jesus brought glory to God by completing his work that God sent him here to do.

Can we say that we are fulfilling our mission? Do we bring glory to God everyday instead of elevating ourselves? Do we know what our mission is?

application
I need to bring glory to God by living my life for him, Jesus didn't live for his own benefit and I need to put aside my selfish human desires and live for something much greater. I must live each day as "His man on His mission"

prayer
I want to live each day with urgency as I remember that I am on a mission from you.