Friday, April 10, 2009

Are You Qualified?

scripture

Exodus 3:11 But Moses said to God, “Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?”

Exodus 3:13 Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”

Exodus 4:1 Moses answered, “What if they do not believe me or listen to me and say, ‘The LORD did not appear to you’?”

Exodus 4:10 Moses said to the LORD, “O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue.”

Exodus 4:13 But Moses said, “O Lord, please send someone else to do it.” 14 Then the LORD's anger burned against Moses

observation

There probably are not very many bushes out in the desert and I bet that those few bushes that are out there don’t make a habit of bursting into flames. Moses was amazed and had to go check it out but after God’s voice started coming out of the bush then he was afraid to even look at the bush any more. It is amazing to me that he was afraid to look at God but he wasn’t afraid to doubt God and question his instructions.

I am nobody that the king of Egypt should listen to me, how do I qualify to lead this nation of Israel? But God I don’t have the qualifications for the job! I’m ok with watching these sheep every day.

God never has used a “qualified” person for anything. Who could possibly be “qualified” to be used for any job that God wants to get done? What pastor or deacon or Sunday school teacher is truly “qualified”? The only thing that makes us qualified is God’s decision that he will use a person despite his shortcomings.

application

I want to be useful to God and be open to any job that he has for me to do. I know that I am not qualified by my own credentials but it is his choice to use me despite my past mistakes.

prayer

Thank you Lord, for using me for your kingdom despite my past mistakes. I want to be useful for you. Don’t allow me to think that I am actually qualified for any job that you give me.

Just a thot: I am always surprised how many times that Moses questioned God, yet other people doubted God and had to suffer the consequences.