Monday, August 04, 2008

The Exciting Book

Scripture


Luke 4:14-22, Isaiah 61:1-2, 10 (Living)

14 Then Jesus returned to Galilee, full of the Holy Spirit's power. Soon he became well known throughout all that region 15 for his sermons in the synagogues; everyone praised him.

16 When he came to the village of Nazareth, his boyhood home, he went as usual to the synagogue on Saturday, and stood up to read the Scriptures. 17 The book of Isaiah the prophet was handed to him, and he opened it to the place where it says:

18,19 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me; he has appointed me to preach Good News to the poor; he has sent me to heal the brokenhearted and to announce that captives shall be released and the blind shall see, that the downtrodden shall be freed from their oppressors, and that God is ready to give blessings to all who come to him."

20 He closed the book and handed it back to the attendant and sat down, while everyone in the synagogue gazed at him intently. 21 Then he added, "These Scriptures came true today!"

22 All who were there spoke well of him and were amazed by the beautiful words that fell from his lips. "How can this be?" they asked. "Isn't this Joseph's son?" Luke 4:14-22 (Living)

1 The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the suffering and afflicted. He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted, to announce liberty to captives, and to open the eyes of the blind. 2 He has sent me to tell those who mourn that the time of God's favor to them has come, 10 Let me tell you how happy God has made me! For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and draped about me the robe of righteousness.
Isaiah 61:1-2, 10 (Living)

Observations

Jesus came to earth with a mission to:
· Preach good news
· Free the prisoners
· Heal the broken hearted
· Release the oppressed
· Announce that God is ready to give blessings to all that come to him.

And then he says with excitement that all these things that he just read came true today! That was exciting news, it must have been exciting to live in the days when so much prophecy was being fulfilled

Application

Sometimes quiet time isn’t so exciting, I need to remember that the scripture is exciting.

Prayer

May I always look forward to my time in scripture because it is time spent with my God.