Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Are You Worthy

Scripture


Luke 7:1-10 (Living)

1 When Jesus had finished his sermon he went back into the city of Capernaum. 2 Just at that time the highly prized slave of a Roman army captain was sick and near death. 3 When the captain heard about Jesus, he sent some respected Jewish elders to ask him to come and heal his slave. 4 So they began pleading earnestly with Jesus to come with them and help the man. They told him what a wonderful person the captain was.
"If anyone deserves your help, it is he," they said,5 "for he loves the Jews and even paid personally to build us a synagogue!"

6-8 Jesus went with them; but just before arriving at the house, the captain sent some friends to say, "Sir, don't inconvenience yourself by coming to my home, for I am not worthy of any such honor or even to come and meet you. Just speak a word from where you are, and my servant boy will be healed! I know, because I am under the authority of my superior officers, and I have authority over my men. I only need to say 'Go!' and they go; or 'Come!' and they come; and to my slave, 'Do this or that,' and he does it. So just say, 'Be healed!' and my servant will be well again!"

9 Jesus was amazed. Turning to the crowd he said, "Never among all the Jews in Israel have I met a man with faith like this." 10 And when the captain's friends returned to his house, they found the slave completely healed.

Observations

The Captain has a sick servant that was very important to him, he has heard about Jesus and sends some Jewish elders to ask Jesus to come and heal his slave. The crowd told Jesus what a good man the captain is and that he deserves Jesus help. The captain probably had a nice home, servants, power and good character but later he sends messengers to Jesus and tells him that he is not worthy to have Jesus come to his home.

The crowds that always followed Jesus did not demonstrate the faith or the respect for Jesus that the captain had. He knew his status next to Jesus was very low no matter how rich, powerful or popular he was.

Application

I have to remember that I am just filthy rags but God still chooses to love and care for me.

Prayer

Keep me humble Lord cause I don't deserve to have you care for me.