Saturday, June 04, 2011

Taking Care Of Your Family

Men of the Bible Series - Judah knew the value of family relationships.


Genesis 37:26 Judah said to his brothers, “What will we gain by killing our brother? His blood would just give us a guilty conscience. 27 Instead of hurting him, let’s sell him to those Ishmaelite traders. After all, he is our brother, our own flesh and blood!” And his brothers agreed.

Genesis 44:30 “And now, my lord, I cannot go back to my father without the boy. Our father’s life is bound up in the boy’s life. 31 If he sees that the boy is not with us, our father will die. We, your servants, will indeed be responsible for sending that grieving, white-haired man to his grave. 32 My lord, I guaranteed to my father that I would take care of the boy. I told him, ‘If I don’t bring him back to you, I will bear the blame forever.’

33 “So please, my lord, let me stay here as a slave instead of the boy, and let the boy return with his brothers. 34 For how can I return to my father if the boy is not with me? I couldn’t bear to see the anguish this would cause my father!”

Just like all of the men of the Bible, Judah had his good moments and he had some times when he really messed up. Thankfully God can still use that kind of people, after-all that is the only kind of people that God has access to, if he didn't use imperfect people then he wouldn't have anybody to use.

Judah was the fourth son of Jacob by Leah, his aunt Rachel was his dad's favorite wife, the envy between his mom and his aunt probably made for a dysfunctional family. His dad Jacob had a bad habit of picking favorites, not only did he have a favorite wife but he also had a favorite son.

Jacob's favorite son was Joseph, the kid that had the best clothes, including a fancy coat. Joseph was annoying about it all too and his brothers couldn't stand it and wanted to kill him. Judah was the guy that saved Joseph and devised the plan that would send Joseph away.

Later in life Judah was sticking up for his family again. This time he begged to keep Benjamin out of slavery to Joseph who was now the top guy under the Pharaoh. Judah took charge in protecting his family and offered to be Joseph's slave instead of Benjamin. This protected Benjamin and it also served to protect his father Jacob as well since they feared that he would die if something happened to his youngest son.

Judah was not a perfect man (Genesis 38:1-30) and he came from a less than perfect family background but he always tried to protect his family and do what was best for them even to the point of offering himself as a slave instead of his little brother.

I need to look out for the best interest of my family at any cost. My wife and kids are my priority and God expects me to take care of them.

Lord, I pray that you will strengthen families, I pray that men will make a deliberate choice to put their families first.

You might like to read: Men of the Bible blog series.