Monday, January 24, 2022

Where's My Promised Land

God's children are still waiting for a better country.


Video: TobyMac "Promised Land"

Head down as I punch this clock
The hours roll, they never stop
And I can't ever seem to get ahead
Always tryin' to do what's right
Straight and narrow, it's gettin' tight
Don't know how much longer I can stand

And I'm wonderin'
Yeah, I'm wonderin'
Where's my promised land?

Out here on this desert road
It's hot as fire but I've grown cold
Circlin' like a plane that never lands
And even though the questions change
The answers always stay the same
Maybe someday I will understand

Well, I've run this Earth for many years
If there's one thing I know
There's nowhere on this side o' Heaven
Where streets are made o' gold
I've long laid tell my grand illusions
Lookin' toward the day that I'll be home

I won't give up on this race
Broken but I still have faith
That this old life is all part of a plan
And I can feel it in my soul
One day, I'll stand before the throne
With nothin' left but hope and these two hands

Through all these seasons
I'm still believin'
You're my promised land
In all my grievin'
I'm still believin'
You're my promised land

God's people want to see results and when it doesn't appear that God is at work we get discouraged. A lot of the time we fail to realize that God's timeline is much bigger than the span of our lifetime. Generations of God's people have lived and died crying out to God to see his plan come to pass without any indication that he had listened to their prayers.
Hebrews 11:13,16 All these people died still believing what God had promised them. They did not receive what was promised, but they saw it all from a distance and welcomed it. They agreed that they were foreigners and nomads here on earth. 16 But they were looking for a better place, a heavenly homeland. That is why God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.
God's people have been saved and sent out to show the world the glory of God. We are called to live in enemy territory to be ambassadors for our new homeland. This world will resist us as it did God's people on the way to Canaan, the route to the Promised Land is long and hard, but the promise is still true.