Monday, September 30, 2013

Out With The Old, In With The New

God's children shouldn't look like the rest of the world.



Ephesians 4:21-24  Since you have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from Him,  22  throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception.   

23  Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes.  24  Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy.

Ephesians 5:6-7 Don't be fooled by those who try to excuse these sins, for the anger of God will fall on all who disobey Him.  7  Don't participate in the things these people do.

The new church in Ephesus needed instruction on what their new life in Jesus should look like. The new Greek converts came from a different religious background that included many different gods. Paul told the new church that it is the responsibility of the leader of this new church to instruct them on this new way of life.

As a child of God in this sinful world, you don't have any choice, you have to live among the people that you probably used to be like. You thought like them and partied like them but once you came to Jesus things should be different. That old life-style is not compatible with someone who has seen the truth about Jesus. The worldly way is ignorant about God and his desire for their life, they are busy taking care of their own passions, their happiness is all that matters.
Colossians 3:10 Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like Him.
That's my goal, to become more like God, putting off the old man and putting on the new man. There should be a dramatic difference in my life-style when I come to know Christ, I now have a foundation for truth and for moral values, I should have new desires.

As a child of God we have the mind of Christ, we understand that the world's promise of pleasure and happiness is an empty lie, our enlightened minds require us to live different, we must throw off our old sin nature and be renewed by the Holy Spirit. My thoughts and attitudes cannot be the same as they used to be.
Ephesians 4:30  And do not bring sorrow to God's Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, He has identified you as His own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption.
The gift of the Holy Spirit is not to be taken lightly and it is very dangerous to continue chasing after the desires of the old man and ignoring the prompting of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is God in us attempting to lead us to be dead to the world; yet we go on with our plans of financial gain. We continue to pursue the folly of fashion and vanity and deck ourselves out in the best apparel. We continue to chase after the next thrill and indulge ourselves when this isn't the appropriate life-style for God's children.

The Holy Spirit is there to help me know right from wrong and help me to become more like God. When I yield to his control I will become more like my heavenly father which is what I am supposed to become.

Lord help me to keep my eyes on what is really important. I want to protect the new man and help him to continue to grow. Keep me from the deception of my sin nature.