Monday, March 11, 2013

Slackers For Christ

You know Jesus left us some work to do.


 Mark 13:34-37  "The coming of the Son of Man can be illustrated by the story of a man going on a long trip. When he left home, he gave each of his slaves' instructions about the work they were to do, and he told the gatekeeper to watch for his return.

35 You, too, must keep watch! For you don't know when the master of the household will return--in the evening, at midnight, before dawn, or at daybreak. 36 Don't let him find you sleeping when he arrives without warning. 37 I say to you what I say to everyone: Watch for him!"

Colossians 3:24 Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ.

Do you remember your parents giving you a "to do" list and then leaving the house for a while? Was the list carefully completed, or was it ignored? Sometimes I had to run around the house doing stuff in an attempt to make it look like I had really tried to do it diligently.

Jesus tells his disciples that he is going away and while he is away they have work to do for him. It seems that a lot of disciples these days have forgotten that there is work to do. He has given us instructions for some jobs that he wants us to complete while he is away, there isn't any time for being a slacker for Christ.

Back in the New Testament Church, everybody was doing the work but it didn't take very long for the church to create a separation between professional Christ followers and the rest of the congregation that had to go to secular jobs. We have adopted the mindset that the ministers are the guys that get paid to be in business for God and they need to get things done that we should be doing.

Every one of us are ministers, the master delegated work for everyone of his slaves, there is work to be done that isn't being completed because somebody is ignoring the work that they think isn't their responsibility.

Paul wrote to the Corinthian church that they need to be excited about their work, I need to always work on today's task and be ready for a new assignment enthusiastically, I cannot sit around glowing in the spotlight of the last thing that I did for Jesus. Are you excited about ministry opportunities? Are you always looking for a new assignment or are you looking forward to an extended time off?

Be Happy Working For Jesus

1 Corinthians 15:58  So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless.
I need to be careful that I don't get discouraged, Paul told the Corinthians that they need to "be strong and immovable" the discouragement will come my way, that is one of Satan's schemes that I need to be ready for. Satan doesn't want you to work for Jesus so he will discourage you. When I feel like having a pity party I need to remember that "nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless."

Help me Lord to be excited about every opportunity to be a part of your plans, you are an awesome, huge God but you still desire to use little ol' me to accomplish your plans.