Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Our Loyalty To God Is So Weak

God's blessings are not enough to keep us from walking away from the fountain of living water.


Jeremiah 17:7-10, 13-14  "But blessed are those who trust in the LORD and have made the LORD their hope and confidence.  8  They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay green, and they never stop producing fruit."

9  "The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is?  10  But I, the LORD, search all hearts and examine secret motives. I give all people their due rewards, according to what their actions deserve."

13 O LORD, the hope of Israel, all who turn away from You will be disgraced. They will be buried in the dust of the earth, for they have abandoned the LORD, the fountain of living water.  14  O LORD, if You heal me, I will be truly healed; if You save me, I will be truly saved. My praises are for You alone!

It is probably very easy for us to believe that the person that is living to please God instead of indulging in a life of sin is going to reap a bunch of blessing from God. That doesn't mean that they will live on easy street, fine cars in front of a mansion is not what we are talking about, they will struggle and have to deal with real life just like everybody else but there will be a difference in their outlook.

The people that are living to please God will have a resource, a refreshment, they will have the energy to keep on going despite the challenges that come. They will have every wound healed and they will be saved on judgement day but those that walk away and say to God "no thank you, I have a better deal," they will find out how wrong they were. (Jeremiah 17:13-14)

The thing that is hard to believe is that there are so many benefits to living God's way and yet we see everyday that mankind walks away from God despite this blessed state with all of it's benefits. We wonder off from the fountain that is the source of every blessing, we choose a different path. (Isaiah 53:6)
And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t.
-Paul
God gives us the knowledge of good and evil, most of the issues that we face are very plain to discern in light of scripture I need to be aware of my need for God and turn towards him in order to receive the riches he graciously offers. The devil has some things to offer as well, money, power, lust and pride are his main tricks that we have to be aware of.

I must give my heart to God and allow him to confront me and bring up all of the stuff that he sees that doesn't please him. I need to stay in his word everyday so that I will remember his blessings and benefits when the world seems to have a better deal that could pull me away from him.