Friday, August 31, 2012

Crying for The Lost

Why doesn't it break our hearts?


Jeremiah 4:19-22 My heart, my heart—I writhe in pain! My heart pounds within me! I cannot be still. For I have heard the blast of enemy trumpets and the roar of their battle cries. 20 Waves of destruction roll over the land, until it lies in complete desolation. Suddenly my tents are destroyed; in a moment my shelters are crushed.

21 How long must I see the battle flags and hear the trumpets of war? 22 “My people are foolish and do not know me,” says the Lord. “They are stupid children who have no understanding. They are clever enough at doing wrong, but they have no idea how to do right!"

Jeremiah 6:6 This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies says: “Cut down the trees for battering rams. Build siege ramps against the walls of Jerusalem. This is the city to be punished, for she is wicked through and through.

Imagine if you knew that God was upset that he was preparing for judgement. Imagine that you received a message from God that your nations idolatry, arrogance and pride were going to be judged very harshly and that many people that you know are going to die.  It shouldn't be that difficult to imagine, after-all, we have received that message from God.

Jeremiah is brokenhearted for the people of Israel, it reminds me of Jesus when he was approaching Jerusalem (Luke 19:41-43), he was very sad because he knew that they would soon see the destruction of Jerusalem. Just like in Jeremiah's time, the people in Jesus time thought that they were safe from anything happening that would be too bad, they thought that surely God wouldn't destroy his temple. (Jeremiah 7:1-15) That's sort of like saying that going to church is going to save you, wrong!

Jesus cried for the people around him

Matthew 9:36-38  When He saw the crowds, He had compassion on them because they were confused and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.  He said to His disciples, "The harvest is great, but the workers are few.  So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; ask Him to send more workers into His fields."
It is so easy to disconnect to the reality of the spiritual condition of those that are around us and the future that those people have. We have been given a message from God, warning us that our city, our nation and even the entire world is full of people that are not ready for the judgement day that is coming. How much do we really care? Do we have a burden for the lost?

I need to pray for my friends, for the people at work, for the people that I see while I am doing everyday life. I need to have the same burden that Christ had, or how about the burden that Paul had? (Romans 9:1-3) I need to allow God to use my hands to serve, my feet to pursue the lost sheep, my mouth to speak up for him.

My prayer:
Break my heart for what breaks Yours, everything I am for Your Kingdom's cause, as I walk from earth into eternity. -- Hillsong United