Friday, June 01, 2012

Go Against The Flow

Living the unpopular life in obedience to God.


Genesis 6:5-12 The Lord observed the extent of human wickedness on the earth, and he saw that everything they thought or imagined was consistently and totally evil. 6 So the Lord was sorry he had ever made them and put them on the earth.

It broke his heart. 7 And the Lord said, “I will wipe this human race I have created from the face of the earth. Yes, and I will destroy every living thing—all the people, the large animals, the small animals that scurry along the ground, and even the birds of the sky. I am sorry I ever made them.” 8 But Noah found favor with the Lord.

This is the account of Noah and his family. Noah was a righteous man, the only blameless person living on earth at the time, and he walked in close fellowship with God. 10 Noah was the father of three sons: Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

11 Now God saw that the earth had become corrupt and was filled with violence. 12 God observed all this corruption in the world, for everyone on earth was corrupt.

There are not too many stories in the Bible that are more popular than Noah and the ark, yet in Noah's day he was the least popular guy in town, he was consistently living a different lifestyle. Noah was probably made fun of for turning down party invites, he was probably approached by women that wanted a better man than what they had at home and he was the only guy in town that wasn't shopping at the idol store.

The story in Genesis tells us that God's heart was broken by mans behavior, Noah was the only man that pleased God, everybody in town wondered why this guy didn't join in and have a good time. (1 Peter 4:4) It didn't take long for us to leave the close fellowship with God in the Garden of Eden.

WWJD?

1 John 2:6 Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did. 
I have to wonder how embarrassed we would be if our life story was included in the Bible. Would my life be a good story in the Bible or would people read my story and say "don't do what he did."

The Bible is filled with stories of people that took a stand and resisted the popular lifestyle but the ultimate example is our Savior. Jesus obedience to the Father shows us what it looks like to fully obey God and live each day for him.

Jesus warned us that the road to the Father is a narrow one and that there are few people on that road. (Matthew 7:13-14) We need to be obedient and follow Christ example, giving up a lifestyle that seeks to please ourselves and choosing to get on board the ark so that we can go against the tidal wave that is sweeping up most of the people around us.

I will not reach perfection until I reach my home in glory but I need to strive to live my life like Jesus did.

Help me Lord to go against the flow, I want to live to please you and have your favor like Noah did.