Friday, October 28, 2011

The Mindset Of A Christ Follower

There is a difference in the way a Christ follower lives.


Luke 9:57-62 As they were walking along, someone said to Jesus, “I will follow you wherever you go.”

58 But Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place even to lay his head.”

59 He said to another person, “Come, follow me.”The man agreed, but he said, “Lord, first let me return home and bury my father.” 60 But Jesus told him, “Let the spiritually dead bury their own dead! Your duty is to go and preach about the Kingdom of God.”

61 Another said, “Yes, Lord, I will follow you, but first let me say good-bye to my family.” 62 But Jesus told him, “Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God.”

Walking down the road one day, somebody comes up and tells Jesus that he will follow him, we don't know how much forethought went into this decision so Jesus gives him some more information about the choice that he is making. We don't know if the man kept his commitment or if Jesus' comments scared him away.

A little later Jesus two more people to follow him and each of them had concerns about the idea, they were troubled by earthly concerns that kept them from being focused on Jesus and the task that he had for them.

These uninformed people didn't realize that Jesus' followers don't always have the same lifestyle as the rest of the world. All of the usual stuff that gives us physical and emotional security such as a home, a warm bed and family close-by may have to be given up in order to be obedient to his call. Jesus doesn't want the shallow commitment that he gets from most of his followers, he wants people with their focus on the mission that God has called them to do.

I have never understood the excuse about going to bury a dead relative but my study Bible notes says that the man that was concerned with burying his father was really putting off obedience for a long time:

"It is doubtful that this man's father had already died. If he had, the man would have been involved in burial rites instead of talking to Jesus." -HCSB Study Bible Notes

In order to follow Jesus I need to be ready to depend on him for my physical and emotional security, the cares of this world can weigh me down, I know that he will supply my needs (Philippians 4:19).

Thank you Lord for taking care of every detail in my life!

You might like to read:
What Are You Carrying  //  Focus On Jesus  //  Faith That Is Amazing