Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Quick, Share The Gospel!

Men of the Bible Series - Paul was ready to share.


Acts 25:23-27  So the next day Agrippa and Bernice arrived at the auditorium with great pomp, accompanied by military officers and prominent men of the city. Festus ordered that Paul be brought in. 24 Then Festus said, “King Agrippa and all who are here, this is the man whose death is demanded by all the Jews, both here and in Jerusalem. 25 But in my opinion he has done nothing deserving death. However, since he appealed his case to the emperor, I have decided to send him to Rome.

26 “But what shall I write the emperor? For there is no clear charge against him. So I have brought him before all of you, and especially you, King Agrippa, so that after we examine him, I might have something to write. 27 For it makes no sense to send a prisoner to the emperor without specifying the charges against him!”

Acts 26:22-31  I teach nothing except what the prophets and Moses said would happen 23 that the Messiah would suffer and be the first to rise from the dead, and in this way announce God’s light to Jews and Gentiles alike.”

24 Suddenly, Festus shouted, “Paul, you are insane. Too much study has made you crazy!” 25 But Paul replied, “I am not insane, Most Excellent Festus. What I am saying is the sober truth. 26 And King Agrippa knows about these things. I speak boldly, for I am sure these events are all familiar to him, for they were not done in a corner! 27 King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know you do”

28 Agrippa interrupted him. “Do you think you can persuade me to become a Christian so quickly?” 29 Paul replied, “Whether quickly or not, I pray to God that both you and everyone here in this audience might become the same as I am, except for these chains.”

30 Then the king, the governor, Bernice, and all the others stood and left. 31 As they went out, they talked it over and agreed, “This man hasn’t done anything to deserve death or imprisonment.”

Agrippa II - Born AD 27/28, son of Agrippa I, was the seventh and last king of the family of Herod the Great. He was married to one of his three sisters, Bernice.

What a big show, just think of the ceremony as King Agrippa walks in with his sister/wife, all of the important people are there as they are accompanied by the military. It is a big day today, what an audience, it is so full of people that Paul will get to share the gospel with.

Paul gives his quick testimony about the good news of Jesus and tries to wrap it up by asking Agrippa if he believes. We can only speculate that Agrippa never turned from his ways to be a Christ follower, all we know is that he scoffs at Paul for assuming that there was any chance that he could be persuaded with such a quick testimony. According to Paul, King Agrippa knew a lot about the prophets and about the current events surrounding Jesus, and yet he was still not convinced.

Our lives and those around us are so busy and the opportunity to plant a seed will probably come and go so quick that I have to be ready to share the gospel quickly. 

You might like to read: Men of the Bible blog series.