Monday, March 07, 2011

The Impossible Challenge - 40 Days Of Love

Loving as big as Jesus did, so that the world will see Jesus in me.


John 13:34-38  "So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. 35 Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.”

36 Simon Peter asked, “Lord, where are you going?”
And Jesus replied, “You can’t go with me now, but you will follow me later.”

37 “But why can’t I come now, Lord?” he asked. “I’m ready to die for you.”

38 Jesus answered, “Die for me? I tell you the truth, Peter—before the rooster crows tomorrow morning, you will deny three times that you even know me.

We have been told to love big enough that the world will see Jesus, our daily lives need to have big love to such an extent that it gets noticed, that is an incredible amount of love. It is going to take a big love in order for it to get noticed, after all the world knows how to love to some extent, so we need to love bigger than they do or else it won't even be noticed.

Philippians 2:1 Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. 5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus.

Having the same mindset as Jesus means that I need to have big love whether I feel like it or not and I don't get to pick and choose who I can love. The biggest love that the world has ever known has given us the biggest challenge that we will ever have to try and attempt. Those unlovable irritating people around us get to have a full dose of love from me, I don't get to allow feelings to have a deciding vote on how I behave, I have to trust Jesus to give me the grace and mercy to show big love .

Thank you Lord for loving big! Help me to trust you to give me the ability to love big so that the world will see you through me.