Tuesday, February 01, 2011

God Is In Charge

God decides who to favor and God decides when to do it.


Genesis 12:1-7 Then the LORD told Abram, "Leave your country, your relatives, and your father's house, and go to the land that I will show you. 2 I will cause you to become the father of a great nation. I will bless you and make you famous, and I will make you a blessing to others. 3 I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you. All the families of the earth will be blessed through you."

4 So Abram departed as the LORD had instructed him, and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he left Haran. 5 He took his wife, Sarah, his nephew Lot, and all his wealth, his livestock and all the people who had joined his household at Haran -- and finally arrived in Canaan. 6 Traveling through Canaan, they came to a place near Shechem and set up camp beside the oak at Moreh. At that time, the area was inhabited by Canaanites.

7 Then the LORD appeared to Abram and said, "I am going to give this land to your offspring. " And Abram built an altar there to commemorate the Lord's visit.

Abram isn't noted as being anybody really good, unlike his ancestor Noah who was said to be a righteous man and he found favor with God. Abram may have been an average Joe for all we know, nobody that had done anything to deserve any attention, but God still chose to "favor" him. If Abram had a Facebook page I am pretty sure that God would have clicked on the "Like" button.

God is in charge and he decides for himself who to show favor to, he is in complete control and he can use whoever he wants, no matter how good or bad we think they are. God has used the righteous and the wicked to accomplish his plans.

God is also in charge of the timing, we all know that Abram got impatient with God and decided to "help" God make the favor come to pass, we just like to be in control don't we?

I must wait upon the Lord and allow him to be in control.

I pray that you will smile upon me today Lord and be pleased with your servant. Help me to wait on you and to allow you to use me on your timetable.