Friday, October 01, 2010

Be a Servant

What do you mean, the leaders have to be the servants?


Matthew 20:25-28  But Jesus called them together and said, "You know that the rulers in this world lord it over their people, and officials flaunt their authority over those under them.  26  But among you it will be different.

Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant,  27  and whoever wants to be first among you must become your slave.

28  For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give His life as a ransom for many."

Everybody can relate to the words of Jesus in verse twenty-five, but there is verse twenty-six and beyond that really throws us off.

Just about anybody that is in a position of authority has a tendency to take advantage of some perks that come along with the job. Most officials whether they are government or even church leaders are tempted to be treated better or to get something that they wouldn't normally get.

Jesus makes it so clear, this is an issue that the Bible doesn't leave open for interpretation, he tells them that the worlds leaders do "this" but for anybody that wants to follow my leadership you are going to be a servant.

1 Timothy 1:12  I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength to do his work. He considered me trustworthy and appointed me to serve him,

I am so thankful Lord that you consider me trustworthy and you have trusted me to serve you, help me to always be the humble servant leader that you want me to be, I am so thankful that you want me to work for you.

You might like to read: Commands of Jesus blog series.