Friday, August 13, 2010

Ask, Seek and Knock

Our relationship with God takes effort on our part.


Matthew 7:7-11  "Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.  8  For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.

9  "You parents--if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone instead?  10  Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course not!  11  So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask Him.

Relationships require a lot of effort to make them successful and my relationship with God is no exception to the rule. Seeking first the kingdom of God is job number one. (Matthew 6:33) How could I grow closer to God without putting in the effort? What other relationship has all of the benefits that my relationship with God has?

I need to be careful that the cares of the world don't creep in and build up space between God and myself.

I need to ask of him like a traveler asks for assistance in finding my destination.
I need to seek with great care for this very valuable property.
I need to knock with perseverance as a beggar pleads for benevolence.
1 John 3:22  And we will receive from Him whatever we ask because we obey Him and do the things that please Him.

Psalms 105:3-4  Exult in His holy name; rejoice, you who worship the LORD.  4  Search for the LORD and for His strength; continually seek Him.
Help me to understand more about prayer Lord, I need a better understanding of the scriptures on this topic and I need to spend a lot more time asking, seeking and knocking so that I will be receiving, finding and gaining access through closed doors.

You might like to read: Commands of Jesus blog series