Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I Am An Alien

I do not belong here.


1 Peter 2:11-12  Dear friends, I warn you as "temporary residents and foreigners" to keep away from worldly desires that wage war against your very souls. Be careful to live properly among your unbelieving neighbors. Then even if they accuse you of doing wrong, they will see your honorable behavior, and they will give honor to God when he judges the world.

I remember those long car trips where it seemed that dad would never pull the car into the driveway and say "were home." I am ready for God to change my temporary resident status here on earth and I look forward to God saying "well done good and faithful servant!"

For God to be pleased with me when I arrive home I need to represent him well and live according to his word. He could take us home as soon as we become his child but if we stay here perhaps we will influence some other people to give up their earthly home to become citizens of a heavenly kingdom.

I need to live as an ambassador for the king of my permanent homeland.

Hebrews 11:13-16  All these people died still believing what God had promised them. They did not receive what was promised, but they saw it all from a distance and welcomed it. They agreed that they were foreigners and nomads here on earth. Obviously people who say such things are looking forward to a country they can call their own. If they had longed for the country they came from, they could have gone back. But they were looking for a better place, a heavenly homeland. That is why God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.

Thank you Lord for making me a naturalized citizen in your kingdom, I pray that I will be your ambassador that will represent you well and convince other people to give up their citizenship here on earth.