Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Wanna Lead? Go Serve.

A servants heart is the first thing a leader needs.


Mark 9:33-35  After they arrived at Capernaum and settled in a house, Jesus asked his disciples, "What were you discussing out on the road?" 34 But they didn't answer, because they had been arguing about which of them was the greatest. 35 He sat down, called the twelve disciples over to him, and said, "Whoever wants to be first must take last place and be the servant of everyone else."

Mark 10:42-45 So Jesus called them together and said, "You know that the rulers in this world lord it over their people, and officials flaunt their authority over those under them. 43 But among you it will be different. Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant, 44 and whoever wants to be first among you must be the slave of everyone else. 45 For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many."

I have been studying about leadership from God's perspective. I have seen that God wants a leader that has a pure heart, one that will be obedient to God's leadership and I have seen that the number one mission of God's leaders is to reach others with the gospel and then to disciple them to maturity.

"Whoever wants to be first must take last place and be the servant of everyone else."

Jesus Christ approached leadership as a servant, the disciples hadn't figured that out yet, boy were they hoping for something that they wouldn't see in their lifetime. The disciples were anxious for Jesus to be the new leader of the nation, a leader that would over through the rule of the Roman government, instead they found that Jesus is using some new math, he told them that if they want to be number one then they will have to be number last.

"But among you it will be different."

Jesus points out that the worldly leadership style is one that pushes its power around and forces people to be its followers, not so with Jesus, he wants his followers to follow willingly by their own free will. Jesus told his disciples that his example of servant leadership would be the only style of leadership that he would accept.

"For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many."

It is so tempting to look out for self and to think that I can use my rights as a leader to get some personal gain but if the Lord of the universe came down to my level and served me then it is hopeless to think that I can look out for myself and still be pleasing to him.

A leader either sees him or herself as a superior, controlling others who must serve his or her self-centered agenda or as a servant. An authoritative leader uses people for personal gain with no regard for the well-being of the follower.

Jesus rejected the world's mission of selfishness, pursuit of fame, fortune, and power and he also goes opposite of their style of leadership. Jesus' approach to leadership is intended for the pursuit of his mission on earth, to make more disciples.

I must be a leader with a servants heart, if I lead in this fashion then I will be able to help make more disciples.

Give me wisdom Lord to live opposite of the natural order of the world. Help me to serve my family and my church and give me the boldness to lead people that I meet to you.