Thursday, March 26, 2009

Paul: His Man on His Mission

scripture


Acts 26:8 Why should any of you consider it incredible that God raises the dead?

Acts 26:20 I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds. 21 That is why the Jews seized me in the temple courts and tried to kill me. 22 But I have had God's help to this very day, and so I stand here and testify to small and great alike. I am saying nothing beyond what the prophets and Moses said would happen— 23 that the Christ would suffer and, as the first to rise from the dead, would proclaim light to his own people and to the Gentiles.”

24 At this point Festus interrupted Paul's defense. “You are out of your mind, Paul!” he shouted. “Your great learning is driving you insane.” 25 “I am not insane, most excellent Festus,” Paul replied. “What I am saying is true and reasonable. 26 The king is familiar with these things, and I can speak freely to him. I am convinced that none of this has escaped his notice, because it was not done in a corner. 27 King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know you do.”

28 Then Agrippa said to Paul, “Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?” 29 Paul replied, “Short time or long—I pray God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains.”

observation

King Agrippa II is in town to see Felix and upon hearing about Paul from Felix he decides that he would like to hear Paul’s defense. We do not know why Agrippa wanted to hear his defense but Paul uses the opportunity to give the gospel message to everybody in the room, the high ranking officials and the leading men of the city (25:23), what else would you expect Paul to do?

The gospel is out there for the whole room to deal with, they all have a decision, for Agrippa the answer is “did you really think that I would convert” The message of the cross is a stumbling block that the wisdom of the world cannot comprehend.

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing,

Paul was always on a mission, whether you examine his life before his conversion or after, he was always a passionate man. With messages like “stand firm”, “run the race” and “reach for the goal” he was always living with passion and striving to carry out his mission that God had for him no matter what the circumstances were.

application

I strive to be “His man on His mission” everyday, there are so many things that we do that don’t amount to anything when viewed through the lens of eternity, I want to live for Christ, lead my family and help my church and my pastor to be successful for the kingdom.
prayer

I pray that I will be focused on you Lord and on a life that really matters, so that I will truly be “His man on His mission”