Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Got A Light?

Matthew 5:14   “You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. 15 No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.

Ephesians 4:17 With the Lord’s authority I say this: Live no longer as the Gentiles do, for they are hopelessly confused. 18 Their minds are full of darkness; they wander far from the life God gives because they have closed their minds and hardened their hearts against him. 19 They have no sense of shame. They live for lustful pleasure and eagerly practice every kind of impurity.

Ephesians 5:8 For once you were full of darkness, but now you have light from the Lord. So live as people of light! 9 For this light within you produces only what is good and right and true.

I remember waking up before the sun did and the power was out, no night light, not even a glow from the alarm clock. It is difficult to live in darkness as I soon found out as I played “hide and seek” with the flash lights that are scattered around the house. Okay there is a flashlight but now I need a fresh set of batteries.

We all used to be children of the dark, away from God, following your lust for pleasure you just lived for your own selfish desires, Ephesians chapters four and five give us a lot of examples of how the children of the dark live. But now, if you are a Christ follower, your life should show it just like a one hundred watt light bulb in complete darkness, there should be an obvious difference in our life style that just cannot be hidden from the rest of the world.

If you are in the light then you have a relationship with God and your good deeds should shine out for the entire world to see.

1 John 1:7 But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

If I am not giving off light then I should be concerned about my relationship with God. I should also be concerned if I am just a night light, or one of those flash lights that needed some fresh batteries, if I am too dim then I will not be able to share my light with those around me

Thank you Lord, for your light that has taken me out of the darkness. Help me to live so that my good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise my heavenly Father (Matthew 5:16).