Friday, January 23, 2009

Your Words Are Telling On You

scripture


Matthew 12:33-37  “Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit.

You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.  The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him.  

But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Luke 6:45  The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.

observation

Are you capable of producing good fruit? Only if you are a good fruit tree. It is easy to tell what kind of fruit tree you are looking at if it is the right season and you can see the fruit. Those of us that are a part of God’s family better be producing fruit it should be on our tree year round. And it better be good fruit or else you should be watching out for the pruning shears.

Jesus said “blessed are the pure in heart” in the sermon on the mount and now he tells us that the condition of the heart can be known by the things that come out of our mouths.

Proverbs 16:23  A wise man's heart guides his mouth, and his lips promote instruction.

Since your words are a display of the condition of your heart then by your words you will be judged. It should scare us some to thing that Jesus said that by every “careless” word we will be judged, what a serious thing it is to open our mouths and yet most people just open up and let it fly.

David, “the man after God’s own heart” had it right when he prayed:

Psalms 19:14  May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

application

It is a very serious issue to flippantly say just anything that comes to mind. I must always remember that my words say a lot about who I am and what I believe and what I believe affects my decisions which then affects my fruit (decisions and actions).

prayer

You are an awesome God and I want to thank you for your word. I pray just like David did that my words and the meditations of my heart will be pleasing to you. My desire is to produce fruit and be productive for you until take me home.