Monday, November 03, 2008

How To Get God's Promises

SCRIPTURE


Genesis 15:1 After these things, the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, saying, Have no fear, Abram: I will keep you safe, and great will be your reward.

2 And Abram said, What will you give me? For I have no child and this Eliezer of Damascus will have all my wealth after me. 3 And Abram said, You have given me no child, and a servant in my house will get the heritage. 4 Then said the Lord, This man will not get the heritage, but a son of your body will have your property after you. 5 And he took him out into the open air, and said to him, Let your eyes be lifted to heaven, and see if the stars may be numbered; even so will your seed be. 6 And he had faith in the Lord, and it was put to his account as righteousness.

OBSERVATION

Abram had faith in God even though it seems that nobody else did. This scenario reminds me of the relationship between God and Noah.

The scriptures don’t say it but quite possibly when God chose Abram maybe he was the only righteous man on the planet, just like Noah was back in the day. Noah and Abram both enjoyed a relationship where they talked back and forth with God.

I imagine that man was out of control again Sodom had already developed a bad reputation and had forgotten the creator (Genesis 13:13). Thankfully God is a lot more faithful they we are to him.

Abram messed things up from time to time but the one thing that made Abram different was that he had faith in the promise and that’s the only thing that makes us anything as well.

God made a promise to us that if we accept Jesus Christ as our payment for all the wrongs that we have done then we can have an eternal relationship with him. The only thing that gets us into heaven is to believe the promise through faith, and God always keeps his promises.

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.

11 Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives 12 as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat.

13 But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.

Please accept the promise. Need more information about Jesus and the promise God has offered to you? Click here for more.

APPLICATION

I will share the promise with someone today.

PRAYER

Come with me today Lord and show me opportunities to share the promise. Press on my heart what to say, I don’t like thinking about the situation later and saying “I should have said…”