Friday, October 03, 2008

A Warning To The Baby Christian


SCRIPTURE

Heb 5:11-14 (NIV)  We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. 12 In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! 13 Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

Heb 6:1-2 (Living)  Let us stop going over the same old ground again and again, always teaching those first lessons about Christ. Let us go on instead to other things and become mature in our understanding, as strong Christians ought to be. Surely we don't need to speak further about the foolishness of trying to be saved by being good, or about the necessity of faith in God; 2 you don't need further instruction about baptism and spiritual gifts and the resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment.

1 Cor 3:1-2 (NIV)  Brothers, I could not address you as spiritual but as worldly--mere infants in Christ. 2 I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready.

OBSERVATIONS

Rick paraphrase:

You are still baby Christians so it is difficult to teach you anything beyond the basics that you know from the Old Testament. You know the teachings about repentance, faith, baptism, laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead and the eternal judgement. It is wrong that you are still immature and focusing on these teachings and still trying to learn them, well then you are not going to understand the teachings about righteousness. -Heb 5:11-14 (RIC)

Digging the word will help me:
• To keep myself pure
• See what is on the inside, that sword opens you right up
• Teaches me how to live to please God
• Shows me my loving God and Savior

APPLICATION


I remember a couple of days ago I learned about God’s word being a double-edged sword. I better use the sword so that I will grow as a Christ follower.

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word.
I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
Praise be to you, O LORD; teach me your decrees.
Psalms 119:9-12 (NIV)

PRAYER

Keep me faithful to meet with you each morning to study your word.