Friday, October 24, 2008

Obedience Brings Grace


SCRIPTURE

Genesis 7

1 And the Lord said to Noah, Take all your family and go into the ark, for you only in this generation have I seen to be upright.

4 For after seven days I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, for the destruction of every living thing which I have made on the face of the earth.

5 And Noah did everything which the Lord said he was to do.

10 And after the seven days, the waters came over all the earth.

12 And rain came down on the earth for forty days and forty nights.

24 And the waters were over the earth a hundred and fifty days.

OBSERVATION

What a picture of God’s grace that Noah and his family were saved because Noah was an upright man and he walked with God. Just get the spray paint out and paint the name on the front of the boat, I would have named it grace. Grace alone and nothing else had saved them.

The world had plenty of time to repent but instead they probably stood around and mocked Noah. It was business as usual for everybody else. I am sure that they went to their shops and stores to get to work, homes were being cleaned, plans were being made. Plans that would never be since they were coming upon their judgment day.

And as it was in the days of Noah, so will it be in the day of the Son of man. They were feasting and taking wives and getting married, till the day of the overflowing of the waters, when Noah went into the ark, and they all came to destruction. –Luke 17:26, 27

Verse 5 says that Noah did everything that God told him to do but imagine if Noah had only been partially obedient. What if he left off the door or he built the ark the wrong dimensions or didn’t waterproof it the correct way. Only complete obedience is acceptable to God.

APPLICATION

Would God have wanted to save me from the flood?

When he tells me to do something I must be completely obedient, partial obedience would have been fatal for Noah and the animals.

PRAYER

Lord I pray that you will find me faithful and obedient to what you have taught me in your word.