Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Don't Stop Spreading The Good News

SCRIPTURE


Acts 28:16, 23, 30-31  When we arrived in Rome, Paul was permitted to live wherever he wanted to, though guarded by a soldier.

23 So a time was set, and on that day large numbers came to his house. He told them about the Kingdom of God and taught them about Jesus from the Scriptures--from the five books of Moses and the books of prophecy. He began lecturing in the morning and went on into the evening!

30 Paul lived for the next two years in his rented house and welcomed all that visited him, 31 telling them with all boldness about the Kingdom of God and about the Lord Jesus Christ; and no one tried to stop him.

OBSERVATION

Despite a difficult journey and being shipwrecked, Paul makes it to Rome and is placed under house arrest, which lasted for two years.

What an opportunity! From here Paul writes the books of Ephesians, Colossians, Philippians and Philemon. And he still has time to start a house church, which was allowed to prosper without opposition.

That is something that the early church in Israel wasn’t allowed to do. I am reminded of the house churches in China that are persecuted. The pastors and the congregations come under harsh treatment for their faith but despite the persecution the church continues to grow. I am reminded of what Paul said in his letter to the Philippians:

Phil 1:12-14  And I want you to know this, dear brothers: Everything that has happened to me here has been a great boost in getting out the Good News concerning Christ. 13 For everyone around here, including all the soldiers over at the barracks, knows that I am in chains simply because I am a Christian. 14 And because of my imprisonment, many of the Christians here seem to have lost their fear of chains! Somehow my patience has encouraged them, and they have become more and more bold in telling others about Christ.

Paul suffered so much throughout his ministry for the kingdom but he said it was all for the good of spreading “the Good News concerning Christ.”

APPLICATION

I will pray for my brothers and sisters in Christ, those that pay the price everyday for their beliefs.

PRAYER

Make me bold in sharing the gospel in a land that has no opposition to it being shared. I thank you for the opportunity to live in such comfort, forgive me for living too comfortable so that I have not been bold enough about sharing the Good News.